Changes you can make
Want to DO SOMETHING about Climate Change?
Actions YOU Can Take NOW that make a difference
1. Lower Your Electricity Use
- Install LED lights and insulate your home
- Minimise air-conditioner use
- Choose energy efficient appliances
- Learn more saving tips
- Follow renew.org.au
- Get useful fact sheets at zerobyron.org
- Discover incentives at energysaver.nsw.gov.au
2. Go Solar & Save More Than Money
Solar panels, solar hot water & batteries technology are more accessible than ever.
Run appliances like dishwashers, washing machines or ovens while the sun is shining.
3. Switch to Ethical Electricity
Discover which retailers are investing in renewables and moving out of fossil fuels. Support them.
See also our local community-owned enovaenergy.com.au
Investigate GreenPower to support new renewable generation whoever you are with. See greenpower.gov.au
4. Plant Trees
- Join in/or to Donate to Tree Planting Projects
- Protecting or replanting forests and wetlands allows carbon drawdown and storage
- See RePlant Byron Alliance
5. Change How You Eat & Shop
- Buy local plant-based food from regenerative farmers
- Learn about plant-based eating and eat less meat & diary – any cut-down helps
- Shop mindfully. Imported foods have a much higher carbon footprint
6. Increase Demand for Electric Vehicles & Fly Less
- When EVs become affordable for you – make the switch!
- Investigate second hand EVs
- Build workplace fleets of EVs.
- Seek to electrify all vehicles & tools currently using fossil fuels.
- See The Driven News and bust EV vehicle myths.
- Cut down all non-essential flying
7. Consume Less & Reduce Waste
All new products have carbon footprints. Organics in landfill tips create climate-wrecking methane
Reduce, reuse, share, buy second hand. Compost or use green bins for organic waste
Advocate for change and support others who are taking action It is NOT too late, focussed social movements do work!
8. Divest from Fossil Fuel Lending
Withdrawing funds from planet wrecking projects changes the financial culture
- Change to ethical, fossil fuel-free investments, banking and superannuation
- See: marketforces.org.au
9. Help stop more
Put pressure on candidates, parties and sitting members to take climate action:
- Ring, write, email, show up
- Vote for candidates who will take climate action
- Join climate marches
- Ask for much higher Emissions Reductions Targets and a National Action Plan on Climate Change
- Skill up at thechangeagency.org
11. Talk About It More
- Raise awareness about practical climate actions with your family, work colleagues and in business and community circles.
- Share information on social media, try to reach out to people who don’t know what can be done.
- Let people know it is possible to limit climate change with lower emissions and that they can also do something.
12. Stay Informed
Know about the reality and the solutions to counter myths and misinformation. There are many reputable websites with excellent clear information. For clear info see:
Australia is currently a climate laggard and we can do so much more!